As a special treat, I woke up early to bake banana cupcakes for my mom. She does not have a big sweet tooth like me, so no buttercream! In fact, I only added caramel to 6 of the cupcakes and chocolate ganache to 5 of them. The rest of the cupcakes are plain, just the way she likes them!
Above image: The original recipe is the banana-chocolate chip cake from Alisa Huntsman and Peter Wynne's Sky High cookbook. Just to let you know, I did not fold in chocolate chips in our cupcakes and omitted a few things that I did not have. But the end result was still soft, moist, and delicious!
Recipe adapted from Sky High: Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes
(Makes about 2 dozen cupcakes)
2 1/4 cups of cake flour
1 1/3 cups of sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons of baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons of baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 stick of unsalted butter
1 cup of mashed ripe bananas
3/4 cup of milk
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and have your cupcake liners ready.
- Mix the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt for about 1 minute.
- Add the mashed bananas and butter. Beat until well blended on medium for about 3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and vanilla together. Slowly add this mixture to the batter.
- Scoop the batter into your cupcake liners and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool and garnish with caramel, chocolate ganache, whipped cream, or sliced bananas.
Thank you mom for always reminding us to:
- Drink more water!
- Go to bed early!
- Eat more vegetables!
- Wear warmer jacket!