Yayyy Civic long weekend! What did you do? We did a day trip to Buffalo, celebrated a couple's new house and engagement (congratulations again Kurt & Diana), and I made cupcakes.
Hummingbird cupcakes! I was missing pecans from this recipe, so I don't know if that makes it less of a Hummingbird? Hopefully not! Oh, and one more change to the recipe. I didn't have enough sugar. I know, me without a fully stocked bag of sugar? So, instead of 2 cups of sugar, I did brown sugar and granulated sugar. The result? A not so overly sweet cake that balanced with the sweet frosting pretty well.
Above left, going clockwise: Cream cheese frosting on Hummingbird Cupcakes; fresh from the oven; cupcake batter; batter up for the oven!
I did manage to crack myself up while cracking the eggs. I attempted to do it one-hand style like the chefs on television. I did it once before and thought I could do a repeat performance. Nope. I think I'll stick to two-hands egg cracking from now on.
Recipe adapted from the amazing Chockylit
(Makes about 24 cupcakes)
3 cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of vegetable oil
1-1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1 8oz can crushed pineapple, with liquid
2 mashed bananas
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and have all ingredients at room temperature. Also have your cupcake liners and pans ready.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt in a good sized bowl.
- Beat the eggs.
- Add oil and vanilla to the beaten eggs and mix until somewhat combined.
- Add egg/oil/vanilla mixture to flour/sugar/baking soda/cinnamon/salt mixture.
- Mix together the pineapples and bananas.
- Add the pineapples/bananas with the previous mixture and mix well.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden and a cake tester comes out clean.
The cupcakes are in between a cupcake and a muffin. I can see this being very good for breakfast, especially if they're fresh from the oven. They smell very much like banana cakes to me, perhaps my 2 mashed bananas were larger in size? It also has a nice chewy texture from the bananas. Yumm.
Cream Cheese Frosting
(Makes enough for about 24 cupcakes)
3 cups of icing sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1 package of cream cheese
1 stick of butter
- Cream the butter until smooth.
- Add in the icing sugar and mix. Include the vanilla extract.
- Add in the cream cheese and mix until smooth.
I also made two small scooters out of fondant. Yes, two. I am insane sometimes. A yellow one and a red one. My mom randomly gave me the fruit to accessorize my photoshoot. Please note, the only fruits in this cupcake are bananas and pineapples!
I would like to dedicate the yellow one to the Scootabaker!