Vanilla buttercream with red velvet cupcakes. I know, traditionally red velvet goes with cream cheese frosting, but it has been so hot here, I was afraid it wouldn't keep. Plus, vanilla buttercream is just as yummy!
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Recipe adapted from the Whimsical Bakehouse
(Makes about 28 cupcakes)
2 sticks of unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups of sugar
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons of red food colouring
2 1/2 cups of cake flour
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 cup of buttermilk
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon of vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and have all ingredients at room temperature. Also have your cupcake liners and pans ready.
- Using your stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until combined.
- Add the 2 eggs and mix. Add in the red food coloring and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift the cake flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- In your measuring cup, pour in the buttermilk, vanilla, and vinegar.
- Alternatively pour the cake flour mixture and buttermilk mixture into the butter mixture.
- Using your handy ice-cream scoop, evenly divide the batter into your cupcake liners.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until your cake tester comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool before mixing.
Carefully measure out your dry ingredients and sift!
Use a handy-dandy ice cream scoop to evenly divide your batter!
Quite pretty in pink, but don't worry!
The cupcakes will turn out red!
Pipe your favourite frosting on the cupcake!
A sheep pen for Brenda! Happy... baahhday! (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)