Biscotti, which happened to have a pine nut cookie recipe!
Pinolate (Pine Nut Cookies)
Recipe from Biscotti: Recipes from the Kitchen of the American Academy in Rome
Makes about 15-20 cookies
200 grams of pine nuts
85 grams of almonds
85 grams + 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
2 grams of lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 egg white
- Preheat your oven to 150°C (300°F).
- Spread the pine nuts on a cookie sheet and toast for 10 minutes. Let it cool.
- Using a food processor, pulse the almonds, granulated sugar, and 50 grams of the toasted pine nuts until they become sandy in texture.
- Transfer the nuts and sugar to a mixing bowl. Add the lemon zest, vanilla extract, and egg white. Mix well.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 160°C (325°F).
- Form the dough into cherry-sized balls and roll each ball in the remaining toasted pine nuts.
- Evenly space the dough on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving about 2cm (1.5 inches) between each cookie.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Eat these cookies, they're best on the day of, but will keep for up to 1 week in a sealed container.
Best of all, my aunt said they were as good as the ones she gets from the Italian bakery in New York! =)